Effective Date: July 11, 2017
WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you use this Site, we may collect the following information:
Information You Give Us
When you use this Site, you will have the opportunity to provide us with some information directly. For example, some functions of this Site require you to register for an account, where we may ask you for your email address and preferred username. We may also collect other information you directly give us as you build your profile on this Site, such as your name, university affiliation, location, demographic information, and phone number. We also collect your information if you contact us directly with a question or suggestion.
Certain parts of this Site allow users to upload or post content ("User Content"), including the ability to upload physics problems for others to solve (Problem(s)"). You may post such User Content at your sole discretion, but please note that any User Content you submit may be publicly available and viewable to others. We recommend that you do not post any sensitive information as User Content.
Information Automatically Collected
As with most online services, when you access and use this Site we automatically record some information about you and your computer. For example, when visiting this Site, we may collect your IP address, computer operating system type, browser type, browser language, the website you visited before browsing this Site, pages you viewed, how long you spent on a page, access time and information about your use of and actions on this Site.
Physics Den may also use “cookies,” “tracking pixels,” or other automated mechanisms to collect and personalize your service on this Site. Cookies are small files that Physics Den can send to your browser for storage on your computer. They make the use of this Site easier to navigate by saving preferences, remembering your login information, and recalling other aspects of your use of this Site. While most browsers allow you to disable cookies, we recommend that you leave cookies enabled so as not to interfere with the full functionality of this Site.
- Information You Give Us
HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may use the information collected about you in order to operate, develop, research, modify, and improve the Site and any other related services. This may include using your information to:
- Provide services you request.
- Maintain a record of the User Content you submit, including any Problems and any corresponding solutions.
- Provide administrative notices applicable to your use of this Site.
- Respond to your questions and comments and provide user support.
- Enable you to communicate with us through our interactive features.
- Analyze trends in statistics regarding visitors’ use of this Site.
- Analyze trends and statistics about the job market in physics and related fields.
- Protect against and prevent infringement, unauthorized use and access of this Site, and claims and other liabilities.
- Enforce this Site’s Terms of Service and this Policy.
- Comply with applicable legal requirements, court orders, legal proceedings, and document requests.
INFORMATION WE SHARE
Some amount of sharing is necessary in order for Physics Den to operate this Site. The following individuals or entities may have access to your information:
- Physics Den and its contractors- members of the Physics Den team, and any independent contractors they work with, may have access to user information as it is reasonably needed for the operation of this Site. This includes any peer reviewers we select to review Problems for accuracy, quality and completeness.
- Third party service providers- Physics Den may work with third-party providers in order to research, develop, operate, or improve this Site and any related services, and may share user information with third party service providers solely as is needed for those service providers to provide services to Physics Den.
- Business transfers- If Physics Den is acquired by another company, goes into dissolution, or otherwise transfers ownership or assets, Physics Den may sell or transfer user information as part of that transaction.
- Promotions and recruitment- Physics Den may share the information that we collect from you in order to help recruiters and prospective employers identify possible employees or contractors, or with any advertising or business partners who may offer services that will be of interest to its users. If you do not wish to have you information shared in this way, you can opt-out by contacting Physics Den directly.
- Legal compliance- We may share information if we believe, in our sole discretion, that such disclosure is necessary in order to comply with any court order, subpoena, or other legal process, including an order to respond to any government or regulatory request, or if we believe such disclosure is necessary to enforce or apply our Terms of Service and other agreements, or if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Physics Den, our customers, or others.
- Data analysis- Physics Den may share aggregated, non-personally-identifiable data derived from user information for any business purpose, including for analyzing demographic and usage information or to help identify new partners and advertisers.
COMMUNICATIONS WITH OTHERS
This Site may allow you to communicate with other users. Nothing requires you to disclose your identity to others. If you choose to disclose your identity to third parties using this Site, you do so at your own risk. Physics Den is not responsible for the privacy or security of any information, personal or otherwise that you may choose to communicate or exchange using this Site.
CHILDREN UNDER 13 YEARS OF AGE
Children under the age of 13 are not permitted to use, access or register on this Site in any way. We do not knowingly collect or solicit information from anyone under the age of 13. If we learn that Physics Den has collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible.
If Physics Den decides to change this Policy, Physics Den will post those changes on this Site so users can remain aware of what information Physics Den collects, how Physics Den uses it, and under what circumstances, if any, Physics Den discloses it. The effective date of the current version will be posted at the top of this Policy. It is your responsibility to check this page periodically for updates.
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.